Private sewage disposal plants

In all Residence Districts, Commercial Districts and M1 and M2 Districts, the City Planning Commission may permit sewage disposal plants provided that such use will serve the commercial or residential area within which, or adjacent to which, it is to be located; that in the case of a residential area, such area contains more than 50 dwelling units; and that there are serious difficulties in locating it in a district where it is permitted as-of-right from which it could serve the residential area or commercial area. In addition, the Commission shall refer such application to the Department of Health and the Department of Environmental Protection for a report.

The Commission may prescribe appropriate conditions or safeguards to minimize adverse effects on the character of the surrounding area including safety devices and the concealment of such use with fences, buffer zones, barriers or other screening devices, and landscaping.