In C3 Districts

In C3 Districts, the Board of Standards and Appeals may permit eating or drinking establishments (including those which provide outdoor table service or musical entertainment but not dancing, with a capacity of 200 persons or less, and including those which provide music for which there is no cover charge and no specified showtime) for a term not to exceed five years, provided that the following findings are made:

(a)        that such use is so located as not to impair the essential character or the future use or development of the nearby residential neighborhood; and

(b)        that such use will generate a minimum of vehicular traffic to and through local streets in residential areas.

The Board may modify the regulations relating to signs in C3 Districts to permit a maximum total surface area of 50 square feet of non-illuminated or illuminated non-flashing signs, provided that any illuminated sign shall not be less than 150 feet from the boundary of any Residence District.

For eating and drinking establishments for which special permits have previously been granted, the term may exceed 10 years at the discretion of the Board.

The Board may prescribe appropriate conditions and safeguards to minimize adverse effects on the character of the surrounding area, including requirements for shielding of floodlights or adequate screening.